Monday, January 16, 2012

Business 101- Planning

Every Monday, right here, just you and I can sit down together and talk business.  I've been running Miss Ruby Sue for almost 4 years, and though I don't know everything, nor ever will, I think I've gotten better thru trial and error, asking questions, watching others, and observing successful habits of other businesses.  I usually cringe when someone tries to give ME advice because my business of making headbands - producing a product, shipping it, promoting it, inventory, social media- all of that is so different and there is no cookie cutter business mold for you or me. But a few things can still apply. 
Planning.  Plan to be successful with your business, and your time. Last year I planned to reach 10,000 FB followers in 2011. By Christmas I had 6K, so  I didn't quite make it. However, I am still aiming for high numbers, and giving it my best. Work on growing your FB numbers, getting more followers on your blog, and yet somehow not go crazy at the same time, will help your sales grow slowly but surely. Organize your time so you can do your FB, Twitter or your blog when the kids are asleep. Plan on being busy!
Another thing you can try is to make a vision board for yourself and don't be afraid to post the things that YOU want!  When you see your goals up on the wall day after day, it gives you a silent path that you are quietly following.  
I found a great article at About.com on Planning. I thought I would share it with you.
Basic Management Skill #1: Plan
Management starts with planning. Good management starts with good planning. And proper prior planning prevents… well, you know the rest of that one.
Without a plan you will never succeed. If you happen to make it to the goal, it will have been by luck or chance and is not repeatable. You may make it as a flash-in-the-pan, an overnight sensation, but you will never have the track record of accomplishments of which success is made.
Figure out what your goal is. Then figure out the best way to get there. "

I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions. Remember to be nice!



2 comments:

Jana Matthes Photography said...

I have a small photography business and have 1000 goals! It is so hard not to get dicouraged when I haven't met very many of them! I will tell you I need all the help I can get with the marketing end of.things especially on a small, very small budget! Loved your blog! Makes.me feel like I'm not alone!

Becca said...

Great advice! I look forward to your Business 101 every Monday! We are all learning as we go so any advice would be great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...