Monday, January 23, 2012

Business 101- What to do when sales are down?



      Photo Courtesy of valentinadesign

I Loooooved this article when I saw it and wanted to share it with all of you!  How many times have we said- "my sales are down- what can I do?"  Now I don't feel helpless anymore, and I also feel I have more control over what I used to think I 'didn't ' have control over. I cut out the first 2 which didn't apply to me being a small business, but you can refer to the complete document at: about.com




1. Give your customers the inside scoop.

Recently I was shopping at a retail housewares store. I had picked out an item and was mulling over whether to buy it or not when a salesperson came up to me and said, “I see you’re interested in that blender. We’re having a sale next week and all our blenders will be 20 percent off. You might want to come back then.” Guess what? I did – and bought two other items as well. Lesson: if you have a promotion or sale coming up, tell your customers about it. They’ll come back – and probably bring some friends with them too. (And don't forget - you can give your customers the inside scoop by emailing or calling them, too.)
2. Tier your customers.
There should be a clear and obvious difference between regular customers and other customers – a difference that your regular customers perceive as showing that you value them. How can you expect customer loyalty if all customers are treated as “someone off the street”? There are all kinds of ways that you can show your regular customers that you value them, from small things such as greeting them by name through larger benefits such as giving regulars extended credit or discounts.
3. Set up a customer rewards program.
We’re all familiar with the customer rewards programs that so many large businesses have in place. But there’s no reason that a small business can’t have a customer rewards program, too. It can be as simple as a discount on a customer’s birthday or as complex as a points system that earns various rewards such as discounts on merchandise. Done right, rewards programs can really help build customer loyalty and increase sales.
4. Distribute free samples to customers.
Why do so many businesses include free samples of other products when you buy something from them? Because it can increase sales in so many ways. As the customer who bought the original product, I might try and like the sample of the new product and buy some of it, too. Or I might pass on the sample to someone else, who might try the product, like it, and buy that and other products from the company. At the very least, the original customer will be thinking warm thoughts about your company, and hopefully telling other people about your products.
Attracting new customers is a good thing. But attracting new customers is not the only way to increase your sales, and is, in fact, the hard way of going about it. Shifting your sales focus to enticing your current customers can make increasing your sales easier – and best of all, build the customer loyalty that results in repeat sales.
I thought these ideas were attainable and do-able. Within 1 week of using these tools, I had great customer feedback, 
and my sales have gone up.  I have also added a free gift in my packages and have had a great response from my clients such 
as this from Malina:
Just received the best package!! Thank you so much you make it SO special to open!! And of course it looks fabulous on my little girl!!
You really make us feel special! 

I'll see you soon!
Let's hear your business tips! 

1 comment:

BrittanyPorter said...

Great advice thanks for posting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...